Thursday, July 29, 2010

Problems I had with breast feeding

My children were c-section babies. Because of the numbness from the spinal I was unable to nurse right away. The doctor did not ask me if I wanted to give my baby formula, they just stuck a bottle in her mouth. When I was finally able to nurse I had a hard time getting her to latch on because she was used to the fast flow of a bottle. As a result, I ended up pumping and feeding her from a bottle for 6 months. At this point I found out I was pregnant again. My dr. told me I had to quit breast feeding because my body wouldn't support feeding 3 of us.

According to the MayoClinic "For most women, it's possible to safely continue breast-feeding while pregnant — as long as vigilance is paid to healthy eating and aggressive hydration." They go on to say that a baby may not like the taste of the changing breast milk during pregnancy and might self wean. But, that was not the doctor's decision to make for me. They did not tell me this when I was pregnant. 

The World Health Organization recommends exclusive breast feeding for 6 months and continual breast feeding with additional foods for up to 2 years or more. Breast feeding should begin within an hour after birth. To ensure a good breast feeding relationship, bottles or pacifiers should be avoided. A new mother should have 16 week of absence from work to rest and breastfeed their child. Formula can cause constipation and does not contain the antibodies that are found in breast milk. Statistically, adults who were breastfed as a baby have a higher IQ and lower blood pressure.

If I had not encountered these difficulties, I would probably sill be nursing my first born. I just want you all to know the facts, learn from my mistakes. Do what is right for you and your family.

2 comments:

  1. a couple other resources to look at when concidering nursing and pregnancy are www.kellymom.com
    and google tandem nursing. Although it is not considered tandem til you have a newborn and a toddler it still has wonderful information.
    I have also noticed webmd to have some helpful hints as well. Thank you Lisa for addessing this very large and important issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! I'm sorry that the docs just ran you over like that! Every woman should be informed that she has a choice in certain matters and some things are up to you before the docs just "go ahead" and do them. UG! Yes, kellymom.com is great resource!

    ReplyDelete